Thursday, October 13, 2011

Happy 2nd Birthday...A Letter to my Daughter

Dear Michaela,


I can still remember as if it were yesterday the doctor putting you on my chest as you took your first breath. Your coal black eyes staring up at me locking into my soul. I can still see your Dad standing over the warmer bed as they cleaned you up, looking happier than I have ever seen him in my entire life. I remember the late night feedings, the little clothes, your first steps, and your first words. How can you already be two? Of all the milestones in my life, becoming your mother was the most monumentous of them all. I often question if I am doing a good enough job, overwhelmed at times with the pressure of raising you. But at the end of the day when you kiss me goodnight and say "I love you mamma...to the moon and back", in that moment all the doubt melts away and any memory of what happened throughout the day is gone, replaced by sheer happiness in its purest form. I've probably written the words "you are the best thing that has ever happened to me" 500 times in this blog the past 2 years, but those words don't even do justice to how I feel about you. The older you get I try not to dwell on the negative, and look at all the wonderful things you are learning and doing, but I pray that you will forever love me as much as you do today. I know you will grow up and we will fight and clash and butt heads, but at the end of the day I always want you to know that I am here for you no matter what. Although right now I can fix your problems with a kiss and make it all go away, I know that won't always be the case. But no matter how old you get, know that I will always be your biggest support. I've cried all day long today, and you would think that I was writing this to my 18 year old not my 2 year old, but these past 2 years have gone by in a flash and I know that today you are running towards me to give me a hug, and if I close my eyes and blink soon you will be running out that door with my car keys. You are the sweetest thing I have ever seen, and I am the luckiest person on planet earth to be able to call you mine. You bring so much joy to so many people, and I know that this next year is going to be filled with so many fun amazing "firsts". I don't take one single second I have with you for granted, and I am cherishing every single step along the way. This has been the most amazing journey that life has yet taken me on, and I just hope that you are having as much fun as me.

Happy Birthday my Love,

Momma xoxo




1 comment: